Sunday 24 May 2009

Beware of Increasing the Fear

I'd just like to give a few words of warning about researching this subject, especially on the Internet.

There are those who have documented sleeping/waking paralysis who seek only to sensationalise the topic to make it interesting to the everyday reader or viewer. I have seen a couple of video clips on the Internet that turn it into a sort of horror flick. For anyone currently suffering with the condition to see such material would just terrify them further. I know had I seen such material years ago I would have been horrified. So if you must dig, be cautious.

For anyone who knows someone who suffers from sleep paralysis but has not experienced it themselves, you need to be sensitive to the fears this person will have and the terror they may have experienced which you won't understand. Exacerbating the fear, giving them other scenarios to worry about only makes things worse. Overcoming the fear is key in the solution. My future posts will aid in this process.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Josh! I feel very relieved after reading your post. I have been experiencing this condotion called sleep paralysis for years. I never knew what it was called until right now!The first time I remember experiencing it was when I was about fourteen years old. This has been going on and off for years. As I grew older, I feel my heart racing/palpitating so fast and sometimes I feel like I have difficulty breathing of am suffocating? Is this normal? This feeling of having difficulty breathing scares me and this is why I am doing some research to see if this is related to any heart conditions or such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi thanks for sharing your experience. The feeling of suffocation is very common in cases of sleep paralysis. Some experience it as a pressure on the chest others describe feeling as if they are been strangled and of course this will make any feelings of fear surge.

    If you have any reason to suspect heart trouble I would just get checked out by your doctor so that you can relax after getting a clean bill of health. That way overcomming the fear in these episodes will be easier.

    I hope the blog will be useful to you.

    ReplyDelete